allmymindsays asked: Purple
- Purple: 10 facts about my room
I’m gonna cheat a little and make it 10 facts about my flat, because the place where I currently live is pretty damn big - 5 rooms, one of which is open-plan kitchen-dining room.
1. Funny story about this flat. It belonged to a very close family friend. We used to visit this place as children all the time. He had two cats and a bunch of plants and tech everywhere. :) He was a favourite uncle — I later deduced he was a favourite gay uncle. It explains why I felt so close to him; he was my dad and mum’s best friend and loved me and my sister like his own kids. I still feel so strange, travelling down the familiar streets and knowing I’m coming home, not just visiting. He died a year and a half ago this month from the big C. Still miss him so much. To cut a long story short, his sister asked me to essentially flat-sit until she was ready to sell, at which point we’re looking at buying this place.
2. My favourite aspect of it is the open-plan design, one long room from the entrance into a short hallway and straight into the kitchen-dining room. Makes it feel like a much bigger space, and the light during the day is wonderful.
3. My favourite piece of furniture is the ancient dining room table. It is battle-scarred from many drinking sessions and repairworks, perpetually in danger of falling apart, the legs go every-which-way and moving it is a health hazard. My dad keeps making noises about replacing it, but I will be so, so sad to see it go. That is furniture with character, that is. Makes for a great ice-breaker when I have guests and it can take just about anything I throw at it, provided I do it with the care it deserves. :)
4. All the walls are currently painted in magnolia white, which I hate but which was necessary as the place was in a sad state of disrepair after our friend’s illness. Looking forward to painting it something bright and happy-making - orange or yellow or something like that. The bedroom is going to be done up in heather. :)
5. One of the rooms is stuffed full of old furniture and kitchen equipment that will need to be thrown out once our friend’s sister makes a decision on the sale — which ought to happen very soon indeed.
6. The couches in this place are the ugliest motherfucking pieces of shit I have ever seen. I’m serious. I turned my nose up at them practically from the door, at which point my dad just smirked at me and said, have a seat. If you still wanna have them chucked after, we’ll talk about it. I sat down—and instantly declared that anyone who touches these stained, beige, leather monstrosities will lose a limb, or their head. Most. Comfortable. Couches. EVER. /0\ Still ugly as sin, but I’M SO KEEPING THEM until they fall apart on me.
7. Before I officially moved in, it took a party of 6 people working non-stop for two separate 9-hour periods to clean this place. It was absolutely disgusting. I loved my uncle but he was a slob and a 40-a-day smoker. This place was vile. It was actually a surprise to keep cleaning and find out that the kitchen cabinets and the bathroom tiles were white, not a certain shade of puke-yellow. /0\ Still, it’s almost like I had to go through that to claim ownership of the place. :)
8. I am fighting a losing battle to contain all my books, despite the fact that I have left at least 200 back at my parents’ place. /0\ Once we have the spare room emptied, I am turning it into a library/fannish space/writing room. :)
9. I hate the fact that the walls are still bare. I have posters and pictures I want to put up, but I’ve yet to find the time to go find frames for them. My plan for the kitchen is to turn one wall into a poetry display, a bunch of my favourite poems transcribed and put up in frames. Alas, so much to do, so little time. /0\
10. I can see myself settling here. Like. As a rule, I don’t make future plans — too often the rug has been pulled from under my feet and left me broken and bleeding internally, so to speak. But I can see myself living here. I can see myself growing old here, getting a dog, a cat, maybe two. :) Looking forward to having things resolved in the coming months so at least I know if it’ll be mine properly. Then — watch out, IKEA. /0\